Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bacon - need I say more.

Bacon. The mere mention of the word makes eyes sparkle, mouths water, and arterys gasp. There is no denying that bacon is tasty goodness. Have you ever met someone who didn't like bacon? I heard a survey once that bacon is the one thing that vegetarians cheat on. Jim Gaffigan does a great routine about bacon that makes me laugh every time.

Well, this was bacon weekend! Finally - the moment I have been waiting for. Our first package included the end pieces, which were quite tasty. Saturday, we cooked up a few test slices. Today was the big day and there was no disappointment. So here was the simple but delicious breakfast menu:
  • Homemade hash browns
  • Eggs cooked (cooked to order because a group concencus is generally not possible)
  • Bacon!


My favorite way to cook bacon was born of convenience rather than some learned culinary skill. The Oven! Step one in breakfast prep - throw bacon on a baking sheet with parchment. Pop the sheet into the oven and crank it to 400. Yes a cold oven. While the oven does the work of cooking the bacon with out any interventions, I am free to do the rest of breakfast.

Today, I was free to shred potatoes. A quick rinse and merry-go round trip in the salad spinner, toss in some onions and the hash browns were ready for the cast iron skillet.

There are no photos of the complete breakfast. Between flipping the hash brown and cooking the eggs, the meal was nearly over before I sat down.

This was not mass produced, corporate raised bacon. Our pig was lean but very flavorful. I think thick sliced was the right choice. One other nice part of baking on parchment, you can see how little shrinkage occurred. Next weekend, we will give some of the sausage a try. Tonight, it is pork chop night. Stay tuned!

Think I will go work out now.

3 comments:

  1. Now, that looks delicious, Bob! Even though I've had my tea, my mouth is watering!

    Baking bacon in the oven is so underrated, Bob, since one can easily rend out most of the fat and crisp up the rashers delectably. But, call me contrary if you like, but I think it is perhaps the second best way of preparing American bacon (what us Brits call belly pork.) I doubt you had to think long to get my first choice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Oh yeah. The think cut was definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is called bacon, not fryon. I learned that at at Pampered Chef party. I bake mine on a clay bar pan from fore mentioned company! It does free up a single cook to focus on other details of the meal.

    ReplyDelete