Saturday, January 16, 2010

Its Here!

We finally received the call Thursday I was so waiting for.  The hams were cured and wrapped, the bacon waiting to sizzle, and the lard had found another home.  So Steve and I made a pilgrimage to Hubbard, OR today to pick up our half a hog! I was practically giddy waiting for Steve and I to meet up. Not long into our journey, we found ourselves stuck in I-5 traffic for seemingly hours. Knowing that the processor closed at 5:30,  I finally called my new best friend Nelda (pictured here) at Vogets hoping they would wait on.  I think my threat of crying in front of the store worked!  We arrived just in time to pick up our pork.  I promised to cry next time.  Thanks again to Nelda for guiding us through the cutting instructions and for hanging around. I have to admit, the resulting 40 pounds of pork doesn't quite seem as much as I thought it would be. Nonetheless, I am happy to begin our journey.

 
As you can see here, Steve initially had thoughts of keeping all of this to himself, but finally remembered to share.  As we were dividing up the packages, we were left with a couple of single item packages.  Steve, being ever so clever, suggested we will just have to have do something together with these. Stay tuned for a great dinner by Steve and Julie featuring ham hocks.  Holly and I are on the hook for spare rib surprise.




For tonight, our part is safely tucked away in the freezer as you can see (the ham is on a lower shelf).  All but one pork roast which is gently thawing in the fridge awaiting some royal treatment on Sunday night.  Can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment