Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who you calling shrimp?


Bacon-wrapped shrimp: I'll avoid the temptation to wax poetic about this dish (oh, thou sweet, succulent shrimp, nestled within the meaty embrace of bacon's bosom...), and merely say that this dish turned out really well. I'm loving this bacon and I may find it difficult to go back to the prepackaged stuff that has both a first and second name.

I'm a bit delayed in writing about this recipe. On Tuesday I heard the siren song of the rest of the package of bacon that we opened up on the weekend. We bought some large shrimp, peeled and deveined them and I wrapped each in a small piece of bacon (enough to circle the crustacean) and broiled them, about 4 minutes on each side (until the bacon got crisp).

I served the shrimp on a bed of rice, topped by a salsa made of tangerine segments (membrane removed), cilantro, olive oil, chopped green onions, and hot red pepper, modified a bit from a Tyler Florence recipe. The citrus contrasted nicely with the salty bacon and sweet shrimp. A definite hit, although quite frankly, there aren't too many foods that wouldn't taste delicious wrapped up in bacon goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment